Thursday 31 May 2012

Year Two Day One Hundred and Sixty Eight - Mustard Chicken

Dear all, 

I am advancing in the kitchen and today I decided to try something from the Master Jamie Oliver himself: Mustard Chicken! http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jamies-30-Minute-Meals-Revolutionary-Approach/dp/0718154770/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338472235&sr=8-1
I started off with picking a sprig of Rosemary from our Rosemary 'tree'. 

I then put 4 chicken breasts in a bowl and smeared a spoon of mustard over each breast, a large slug of olive oil, as well as sprinkling on rosemary and salt and pepper. 

I cut up some leeks into quarters while the chicken was marinating in the mustard. 
I then placed the chicken in a frying pan and cooked one side until pale brown. 
In the meantime, I had made up Darren's mum's wonderful scalloped potatoes which were bubbling away nicely in the oven ( check out my multi-tasking!!). 
I then flipped the chicken, added more mustard, a large slug of white wine and the 'leeks'. However, it turns out that I hadn't read the recipe properly and the 'stalks' of leeks in the chicken were very much an erroneous move on my part. After about 5 minutes of feeling very strange about the leek-trees in the sauce, I looked at the recipe... and realised that they needed to be chopped...
So I pulled the soggy, mustard soaked leeks out of the pan and managed to dice them as per the recipe. Ahh.... that's better!
Once the chicken was cooked, I added a dollop of cream and a little more mustard and covered aluminium foil for a few minutes to bubble down. 
It was delicious and felt very advanced -I am getting better in the kitchen! Darren was full of praise, hurray!

1 comment:

  1. We made this when Mulan was up p.

    Try making the broc pasta recipe p, that is my fave meal in the world.

    ReplyDelete