Monday 28 May 2012

Year Two Day One Hundred and Sixty Seven - Stuffed Peppers with Beef and Rice

Dear all, 

Today, I was feeling experimental in the kitchen and decided to try my hand at Stuffed Peppers! I found a recipe on line that involved 'beef' and 'rice' two ingredients we had in the pantry... so off I went!
I realised, whilst scanning the recipe and chatting to my brother on skype simultaneously , that the recipe actually 'hours' to prepare. I cut short the convo and dived straight in, nervous about my hunger levels as Karla and I had completely 4 1/2 hours of exercise earlier in the day *no joke*. 
So, I picked out the peppers, cut off the tops and boiled the bottom section ( pith etc removed) in salty water for about 5 minutes ( then drain) . I cut up the top bits to use later on. 
I then sauteed onion in olive oil whilst rinsing and cooking up some yummy sticky rice ( see far saucepan). 
I then added the diced pepper from the tops of the veg and some diced celery to the onion and cooked under tender. 
I added tomatoes and also dried oregano, basil, garlic and some real garlic to the mix and let it bubble away along with salt and pepper to season. 
In another pan (serious kitchen based multi-tasking), I added one egg, salt pepper and Worcester sauce. 
I then added the ground beef to the egg mix and then some rice ( after it had cooled a little). I then added about one cup of the tomato sauce and mixed in gently. 
I grabbed the peppers and began to stuff them with the mixture. 
Here is the re-cooked pepper... 

And here is the after shot! I added some cheese to the top in the last 5 minutes - they took around 65 minutes in all to cook. Darren loved them and we are having them again tomorrow ( I made WAAAY too much stuffing). 



No comments:

Post a Comment