Monday 4 June 2012

Year Two Day Two Hundred and Seventy One - Cup Cakes

Dear all, 

Today, I decided to advance my culinary repertoire and make some cupcakes! Not wanting to advance *too* quickly, I cheated a little and picked up some cake mix from the store. I clearly didn't read the label properly as I came home with 'confetti' cake mix... this would present itself in glorious technicolour once I started cooking... ho hummm
Here is the 'bag' of cake mix ( in theory, makes my inability to read recipes redundant). 
So, into the bowl goes the mix.. 
Along with 3 eggs, water and oil. 
Mix until doesn't look like sick anymore. 
and mix some more... 
And then literally put into the oven ( after pouring in the cake cups... must remember the cake cups). **Check out my sweet potato fries next door  *delish*. 
Of course, I didn't get through accident-free... I had made a 'little' too much mixture, so *thought* it would be okay to just load a couple of cups into a baking tray and fill them with mix. As you can see, this didn't 'quite' go as planned - cake expands (I learnt today)... quickly. 
And here are my delinquent cakes 'apres-oven'. The confetti mix was interesting... In Cake World this clearly means 'peppered with multi-coloured dots' as my cakes seemed to be. An interesting phenomena. But makes for a colourful mouthful. 

My main batch of cakes turned out great! They look actually look like actual cakes!
Now, onto the healthy part: the icing ( or frosting, as its called over here).
I had even purchased some icing paraphernalia... although realised quickly that the decorating bags are useless without the pointy little cone thing that goes one the bottom... ahhh shucks.
So, I ended up scraping the icing onto the cakes.. which turned out fine. Oh, and they randomly smelt wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment