Wednesday 19 September 2012

Year Two Day Two Hundred and Thirty Two - Hand Casting

Dear all,

Today's task was to cast my hand! Well, many casts actually... lots of different 'poses'.

I started out by dunking my hand ( in position) into the 'cooled' pot of molten wax. 
As you can see, it was a very enjoyable experience... I dunked my hand in the wax and then immediately into a bowl of cool water.. and then back in the wax. I was layering the wax onto my hand...
SO, I then had 5 layers of wax on my hand... LUCKILY, I had coated my hand with Vaseline prior to the waxing, after wriggling my fingers gently, I managed to prise my hand out of the cast. 
Here they are! Standing in the nearby box post-hand. 
NEXT: Plaster! I mixed up the plaster and poured it immediately into the moulds.

I left the plaster to set for around 24 hours and then came back to de-mould ( very exciting!). I took a heat gun to the hand... realising quickly 'not' to aim the heat gun at the 'plastic' waste basket nearby *woops*. 

I look happy here... but actually my hands ( plural ) are very hot. 
I started to peal off the wax from the hands *gently* in to the now misshapen waste basket.  

It actually took quite a long time... pick pick pick... careful not to break a finger!
more heat... 
very tricky in the corners... as you can see here. It involved heat and a small tool to extract the wax. 

And here are the finished product! Not perfect... but you can file the plaster to make them look more hand-like.. Mine are purely for reference so I am not too concerned at this stage... They look quiet cool actually. 

My and my forest of hands!!! ( very The Labyrinth!).

No comments:

Post a Comment